Saturday, January 28, 2006

Postal Mail from the Comptuer via the Internet

In my quest to create a better address book of my current and past acquaintances, I've discovered L-Mail, a service that will send postal mail for you. Hold it!!! Lasso those thoughts about laziness and keep reading. I was looking for contact information online for an old elementary school friend and discovered a physical mailing address, but no email address. I'm reluctant to spend the time to hand-write a letter (I'm not near a printer currently), address an envelope (after finding one), put a stamp on it (after finding one) and then, finally, walk forth and back to the mailbox only to find out that I had the wrong address. Wait! Tighten the lasso on your laziness thoughts and start pulling ... there's more. I found three possible addresses for my friend. Now we're talking about hand-writing and addressing envelopes for the same content three times. The list of mental and physical obstacles to a reunion is growing longer. I certainly don't need this to be more difficult than it needs to be. As it is, I've not made an effort to get in touch with him for over 15 years. So, for whatever reason, I've already demonstrated a considerable lack of motivation. All of this work creating letters to be mailed out would easily tip the scale in favor of remaining out of touch. If you read my post about "The Personal Growth Manager 1.0," then you'll have an idea of how I feel about our reasons for staying out of touch.

This leads me to my point. Let's make it easier to reconnect with people. I don't have the desire to spend money on a personal investigator to hunt down my friends, classmates.com is still too new to be very handy, and I don't have a next door neighbor that's personally vested in my getting back in touch with old friends like Bill Murray had in "Broken Flowers" (great movie, by the way). So, if I can spend a little more money than the cost of a typical postal letter to conveniently and quickly send letters to these possible addresses, I'm down. It would be great to reignite a good friendship, find out what's been happening in his life and our mutual friends' lives that I've also lost touch, and to spawn any healing and growth personally. Lazy, no. Priceless, yes.

https://l-mail.com/scripts/static/features.php

No comments:

Post a Comment