Friday, January 27, 2006

An information revolution right under my nose ...

You may or may not have stumbled onto Wikipedia articles when you've performed searches on the Internet. I finally took a moment to read about the service. It turns out that it is an encyclopedia that ANYONE can contribute information. There's processes in place to mature the articles. There are downsides of misinformation due to the open access, but the upside is huge ... examples: no censorship, no corporate or political biases, multiple languages. I've been amazed at the information I've found. It's always so relevant and current. This approach to culling information together and organizing people is as noteworthy as the creation of the printing press, in my opinion. If you would like to read more about it, here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

This "Wiki" approach is also being applied to a dictionary, thesaurus, books, textbooks, manuals, directory of speciies, news, media, and more.

Now, I think "The Age of Information" is very appropriate for the time that we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment