Saturday, June 21, 2008

WarGames Sounds



Over the last few months, I've been completely hooked on the 1983 cult movie classic, WarGames. I'm ashamed to admit just how many times I've watched it. Let's just say that I have many of the lines memorized by now.

One of the things that I love from the movie are the sound effects. I think they did a great job of bringing computers to life with all of those cleverly engineered beeps. I particularly like the sound they used whenever someone would type on a keyboard. The sound was essentially the same for text that would appear on a screen. Naturally, I wanted these sounds on my computer. I searched Google high and low and couldn't find anyone that had bothered to grab those sounds. All that I could find were classic clips like "would you like to play a game?" So, I've extracted the sound clip myself along with a few others that I thought were interesting and possibly useful.

I created two versions of the keyboard sound (one is louder than the other) to suit personal preference and listening environment. You'll need a program that plays a wav file in response to typing on your keyboard. I've found a few programs that fit the bill. I'm currently playing with a program called Noisy Keyboard.

Below are links to individual wav files as well as a zip archive of all the sounds. There are a handful of sounds that are my favorites that I've grouped at the top. I thought the remaining sounds might be interesting to some people. I hope you enjoy them.

P.S. I did not bother to reproduce the sounds clips from the movie that can be readily found on other sites.

All sound files are standard 16bit, stereo, Windows WAV files sampled at 48kHz.

WarGames-KeyPress.wav
WarGames-KeyPress-MiddleVolume.wav
WarGames-KeyPress-LowerVolume.wav
WarGames-Startup.wav
WarGames-Login-WOPR.wav
WarGames-Shutdown.wav


WarGames-Alarm.wav
WarGames-Alarm-SkyBirdBreakBreak.wav
WarGames-Chimes.wav
WarGames-ConnectHello.wav
WarGames-DiskInsert.wav
WarGames-Login-BunkerDoor.wav
WarGames-Login-ProtovisionIHaveYouNow.wav
WarGames-Login-WOPR-FullWithFootsteps.wav
WarGames-Modem.wav
WarGames-ScreenRender.wav
WarGames-ScreenRender-Longer.wav
WarGames-ScreenRenderWithPrinter.wav
WarGames-Shutdown-BeginCountdown.wav
WarGames-Shutdown-WithJennifer.wav
WarGames-Shutdown-WithJenniferAndDavid.wav
WarGames-Startup-BunkerDoor.wav


All WAV files:
WarGamesSoundPack.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment